Prawn vermicelli is a popular seafood vermicelli dish allover the world. (The beginning is seriously not fun but please keep reading for a full-on of it!) Usually, it is made with Rice vermicelli but here i made it with the Pro Nature Organic Atta Vermicelli and trust me, it turned out quite yummy! What's Special you ask? Here it is: I just customized it with my "Tam-Or Honey Reduction". Wondering what "Tam-Or" is? Ha ha...'Tam' stands for "Tamarind" and 'Or' stands for "Orange". See...You don't really have to try hard to make just about anything sound Exotic! ;P
Tamarind is the best companion for Indian Prawn Recipes and i just gave it a Sweet Global Twist by Adding Orange Juice and Honey to it. And my my her her him him....i can sit with a bowl of this Reduction and Gorge away to Glory!
So, Here's my First(but, not my best) Food Blog Post:
1) 200 gms Pro Nature Organics Atta Vermicelli.
2) 500 gms Small or Medium Prawns. Large/Tiger prawns don't workout well for this recipe.
3) 1 Glass Fresh Thick Coconut milk.
4) 2 inch Fresh Turmeric Root or 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder.
5) 4-5 Green chillies and 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder for Flavour balance.
6) A pinch of Garam masala powder.
7) 1 or 2 pinches Sambar powder.
8) 1 sprig Curry leaves.
Tam-Or Honey Reduction Ingredients:
1) 1 small laddoo sized Tamarind.
2) 2-3 Orange segments depending on the size.
3) 2-3 teaspoons Honey. I used Sakura Fresh Eucalyptus Blossom Organic Unfiltered Exotic Honey.
(This is the Full version of the Puzzle pic from THIS post.)
Let's Cook Away:
First, Dry Roast the Vermicelli till it turns a little brown. It is easy to burn this thin Vermicelli if you are not attentive. So, be watchful and keep tossing continuously.
Heat a little oil (I used cold pressed Coconut oil) and Add Finely chopped Green Chillies and Curry leaves to it. And then, add the prawns along with the tails and sautee for a minute. And then add Grated Turmeric or Turmeric powder and Chilli powder and mix to coat the prawns with it.
Let's jump to the Tam-Or Honey Reduction now:
2. Boil it for 1-2 minutes.
3,4. It should reach the consistency shown in the picture below.
5. Now add the Orange juice that has been extracted from the segments and strained.
6. Add Honey and boil until it reaches a thick Gel like consistency and then turn off the stove. Done.
This was my First Food Blog post and i was sh*t confused with the picture taking while cooking! And in the process the daylight started to go down and i had to quickly plate up like whatever and too a super sh*tty picture of the plated food! Just can't believe i worked for 4 full months as a Food photographer at Green Path Organic State, Bangalore! :'( Lesson Learnt: I should start early in the day for Best Results. :P
Review of the Pro Nature Organic Atta Varmicelli: Click HERE.
Aaaaaaand, with this Pro Nature Organic Atta Vermicelli, i cooked up a Dessert too! Hint: Raisins and Cheese.....;) Shall post it Next week coz i am travelling this week. See Y'all. :)
P.S: Don't forget to let me know how the "Tam-Or Honey" thing turned out.(If you try it that is :P) ;D